Folly to be Wise

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a woman in possession of a large fortune, having reached a certain age, realises she needs only one thing to achieve fulfilment.

I refer, of course, to an architectural hobby. I'm getting into follies - and I'm going to do it properly. 
We already have a summer house in the form of a Grecian temple, but what we're lacking is something... something... something reminding us of antique times, and yet maybe more rustic than a temple. Now. What can I get?

Stonehenge is so 1960s, and Avebury's a bit... well, frankly, it's a bit artificial.  It's been kind of coaxed into order. So I want something a bit grander, a bit bigger and a bit more foreign.

I think I shall go for a reconstruction of Carnac. I wonder if the French will sell it to me?

1 comment:

  1. I should think it more possible to get Carnac by purchase than by imitation and I am sure Miss Bingley would agree with me but I hear she has eloped with Mr William Elliot.

    ReplyDelete